Sunday 11 March 2012

Trajan...the Rude Roman of Tower Hill

Every time I go by Tower Hill tube station and go down the stairs to the edge of the Tower of London's moat, after a conversation with Buffy the Collie who owns the place and is usually about I pass this statue of a Roman Emperor called Trajan. Hes next to a section of the Romans London wall that still stands at Tower hill, where the Tudor era public executions were.
His right index finger is held aloft, poking out the FO sign at commuters going to work, or home, at tourists passing by in the thousands every day, all day. If he wasn't made of Bronze I'd rip his ass to shreds!
But hang on..why oh why did the British build a monument to the Emperor of a foreign invader...especially making lurid gestures? To show how rude he was? I can understand the Trajan column in Rome, but this? If this was close enough to the Tower Bridge to be on my patch I'd make them move it, preferably to Rome in it's original packing if they still have it. Why, I'll get George to do a magickal spell that will have these 'scrap metallers' come and steal it in the night to be melted down and turned into coins, pennies and wire etc....yes, I'll have a word with him! Watch this space.

2 comments:

  1. Yogi, the idea was that pigeons would land on it.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Yogi,
    Interesting... Is there a plaque which explains this gesture and when was the statue erected? And yes, if anyone can bring about changes, it's George! ;-)

    ReplyDelete