Thursday 1 March 2012

The Tower Bridge Repainted...some objection!

Repaint underway..

The way she was before 1977

under construction in 1892
 Between 2008 and 2011 the metal parts my Tower Bridge were repainted, and pretty it is too in it's blue and white, with some bits of red colours. It took 22,000 litres of paint.The photo above shows that work in progress and you can see the before & after effect in it quite clearly. 
I wish I was consulted though, this colour scheme was only applied in 1977 to commemorate the Queens silver jubilee. Now it's ready for her Diamond jubilee and won't need another repaint for 25 years.Prior to that it was chocolate brown iron work, the masonry element is Cornish granite and Portland stone by the way, shes an iron bridge really, sent composite by it's masonry cladding that would make her the beauty she is and also meet a requirement of parliament of the late 19th century that she should have a Gothic look about her so as to be architecturally sympathetic to the nearby Tower of London .
What's Gothic about red, white and blue? Nothing. Nobody else but the powers that be would have got such planning permission that's for sure! Can I humbly suggest that in about 2036 when they do the job again they restore it to how our classy ancestors wanted it? I really think I would prefer it, and as the courtyard I live in has just been painted blue and white I didn't need my bridge painted this way too!
You can read about the misguided restoration here...





2 comments:

  1. Bright blue is nice for some things, but I really like the darker colors for your bridge, Yogi... Maybe some nice group, concerned about authenticity and sentimentality, could repaint it before 2036? That's a long wait.
    *pats and ear scratches*

    M.

    ReplyDelete