Tuesday 21 February 2012

Gargoyles on Tower Bridge


























The 'Spooks' on my bridge are Gargoyles you'll find on the lower arches at either end, not the tall central towers. Scary they look too, winged monsters that are there to frighten off evil spirits, not that they are needed since I took over though.
I know why they are really there, the whole bridge is Gothic looking so it harmonises with the nearby Tower of London, I wish they would think like that these days...they put a glass ticket office on the bridge, and in 1977 they painted the black/brown metal work red, white and blue for the Queens silver jubilee, and now they have done it again for her Diamond jubilee. At some point I'm going to have it restored to the original black/brown coat of paint!
Anyway, back to these spooky gargoyles. George has tried to spoof me with BS, he says they fly away and along the river at after midnight and come back before dawn.
I know that is a load of BS because one night, a day after the full moon beyond midnight when the tide was at it's highest, I saw them silhouetted against the moon, they stay there all the time!
So what were we doing on my bridge at that hour? Well, George had walked me there to feel safe while he said a few things and threw a piece of paper he's folded up into the river Thames below.
I asked him what he did that for and he said he'd written down all his troubles on it and the tide would carry them away.
Now I WAS getting worried, he sometimes says (usually after I've had a barking match) that I'm 'nothing but trouble'...was I going to be thrown in the Thames as well? Is this why he'd brought me here in the dead of night?
Obviously not, I'm writing this after all, and anyway, he often says 'what would I do without you' to me! aawweee! xoxox

2 comments:

  1. Not to worry, George would never do away with you Yogi!

    Thank you for sharing stories and pictures of your bridge. One day I hope you will be able to show it to me in person. <3

    ReplyDelete